Tempur-pedic memory foam mattresses are becoming very popular. They may be great products to sleep on, but they are easily damaged if not properly packed, transported and stored.
The following are some facts obtained from the manufacturer that you should be familiar with:
1. The mattress consists of three layers of foam. The top layer is the memory foam, followed by two separate layers of foam. The memory foam is a viscoelastic material that is sealed inside the mattress. When the mattress is placed on its side, the viscous nature of the foam will allow it to settle toward the bottom edge. In some cases, the pad will tear away from the stitched supports. According to Tempurpedic, this cannot be repaired. Even if the pad doesn’t tear away, any attempt to force the pad to lay flat again could cause permanent damage.
2. Ambient air temperature plays a big roll in the viscosity and elasticity of memory foam. Temperatures below 50 F may cause the foam to lose its elastic ability to reshape. Temperatures around 70 F are necessary for the foam to settle to its original form. Temperatures above 70 F can cause the foam to become less viscous.
3. Memory foam has a tendency to turn a yellowish color when exposed to oxygen.
4. Trapped moisture on the pad’s surface can cause mold.
Below are the best practices for memory foam mattresses that will prevent damage:
1. Our in-home survey will identify if the shipment will include memory foam mattresses. Memory foam mattresses are produced by numerous manufactures, but with the same special handling needs.
2. Our moves will inspect the mattress carefully before placing it in the carton and will include the customer in any conditions exceptions regarding the mold stains.
3. Mattress cartons are a requirement and are the best method of keeping a mattress free from being soiled, but they are especially important for memory foam mattresses. The mattress carton provides additional support for the mattress and assists in compressing the foam layers, which reduces the risk of separation. Our crew will indicate on the carton that it contains a memory foam mattress and that it must lay flat.
4. Our crews are knowledgeable on the transportation and storing of memory foam mattresses. They know to keep it flat and limit the time it is on its side, except to move it through entry ways. Transporting and/or storing on its side will void the warranty.
5. Nothing will be laid on top of the mattresses as it will cause indentations.
6. If the shipment is headed for storage, it will be stored properly in our climate-controlled warehouse and must be laid flat on the storage racks.